FACT : You only need to eat an extra 100 calories a day to gain 5.5kg (10lbs) over the course of a year.
(100 calories = 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips or 28 red grapes or 1 tablespoon of butter or 1 medium banana).
FACT : Fact One + Fact Two = Effortless weight gain
Successful weight loss involves not jut losing weight but also keeping it off. One of the biggest secrets of successful weight loss is mindful eating or being more aware of what you are eating (how it looks, feels, tastes) as well as the emotions and thoughts around why and when you eat. In a nutshell, it simply means thinking more about what you’re doing when it comes to food.
If you’ve noticed a pattern of losing weight only to put it back on again and you’ve been on a sensible eating plan, perhaps it’s time to cultivate mindful eating and transform your relationship with food. Here’s how :
- Understand the difference between eating because you’re hungry and eating for the sake of it (i.e. because it’s there or because you associate food with other activities like watching TV for instance).
- Become aware of your eating patterns and any emotions and thoughts you experience while eating or that you associate with eating.
- Be proactive and aware of what’s in your food by learning to read food labels and what they mean. Weigh or measure food initially to become familar with what ‘normal’ portions look like. Use smaller plates to help manage portion sizes.
- Focus on your food while eating, don’t rush and avoid distractions. Eat with the aim of enjoying your food. Take small bites, chew slowly and savour it.
- Aim to eat regularly, making sure your meals are balanced.
Keeping a food diary is a great way to start your mindful eating journey. It will help create an awareness of what you’re doing now and give you insight on where things are going wrong.
Angela Wants To Know: Are you on a weight loss journey or about to start?